Friday, May 13, 2011

It's in the Jeans

I think it's in every girl's jeans to be a princess. All through my childhood and high school years and now in my twenties, I love to dress up. I love to put on a pair of heels and feel sophisticated. I don't like wearing all the make-up that others might choose to put on, but give me a dress and cute shoes and I'm happy! Don't get me wrong, I love to wear jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers too.
Today, it became very obvious to me that little girls, when given the opportunity, will act like a princess. I'm not talking about the snotty-the whole world revolves around me-drama (though that often is present). I'm talking about dressing up and walking around feeling special. Miss Magee has a purple lace tutu, heels, a wand, jewelry, and a tiara. Occasionally, she will put it on and prance around the house. Today, she put on the heels and tiara and grabbed the wand loudly pronounced, "I'mma pinshess!" And such a pretty princess she was. I couldn't help but laugh and smile.
I have also been reminded that boys and girls do everything differently. Little girls tend to be nurturing; they might throw the ball and hit another kid, but they're more likely to apologize or soothe that kid afterward. Boys, on the other hand, are more like "go hard or go home." If they hit another kid, their response is usually to walk away, laugh, or tell the kid to get over it. Boys and girls both might play with the same items, but boys put sound affects to it. Miss Magee was playing with a couple cars on a track and not a single car noise was coming from her. You give those cars to the little neighbor boy and it will sound like the cars are alive!
I love noticing the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!