Monday, May 2, 2011

Big Accomplishments for Little People

It's the little accomplishments in life that I have come to appreciate. They are the things that most of us without kids in our life would not even think about. But when you spend the better half of your life with kids each day, you come to notice these little things. Things like learning how to play by yourself, eat by yourself, sit up by yourself, vocalize what you want, crawl, pull your pants up, get your shoes and socks, put those shoes and socks on by yourself, and pick up your own things. It's things like this that are huge accomplishments in my book. I greatly appreciate them from a selfish perspective because it makes my life easier when taking care of multiple children with a busy schedule.
There are other things that are just as important to me. Popping teeth through, learning to pray, learning to recognize shapes and colors, being able to count, understanding the difference between yes and no, knowing when to say please and thank you, learning to obey, and learning the importance of a clean and organized house are just a few that I am thankful for.
All these things tend to go unnoticed, even to those submersed in a child's life, simply because they are all things that everyone must (or at least should) learn. I was just thinking about all these things while I was loading the kid's dishes into the dishwasher while both kids entertained themselves. I was thankful for the split second of "freedom" to be able to keep the kitchen clean.
Take time out to think about the little milestones or accomplishments in your life or the life of someone close to you. I can guarantee you it will make you a little bit happier today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!