Monday, April 11, 2011

Storms Can Bring on a Change

I love storms, at least those of the physical sense with rain, thunder, lightning, etc. The other kind of storms that we all face are a little more difficult to love. No one likes to be pulled in different directions by different things or feel the stress of finances and other things going on in our lives. Those things aren't enjoyable.
This week, I went through two different storms. One was on Monday night and left my home severely affected. We had four trees down all around my apartment and then many other trees down in the surrounding area. Power was lost for close to three days, and I just got my internet back.
This is just two of the tree down (the ones that cut the power).

Like I said, I love storms, but when there is a tornado warning or watch, I get very worried. Tornadoes are one form of weather that I am terrified of simply because I don't know it's coming until it's here and then it's just a waiting game. I was woken up at 3am to the sound of something flying against my window and winds whipping outside. The lightning and thunder were nonstop. It was a storm I had never been through before, and I was scared. So, I called my mom (who is 600 miles away) for support. Looking at the damage in the morning was crazy. The two trees above missed all the cars parked there, and even though they fell on many wires and there were sparks and pops, no fires broke out. The other tree that fell in the front yard fell to the left. Had it fallen another way, it would have been in my bedroom. Another tree would have also been down on my apartment had it not been for the tree branches of the neighboring tree stopping it. God's hand was definitely protecting my home, and I am so thankful for that.
One of the good things about storms and rain is that things always seem more vibrant. Some things are damaged beyond repair and other things are made stronger from the winds. I took a walk in my park the next day following the storm and the flowers were out and smelled great. 
I was reminded of how much I miss lilacs


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!