Wednesday, April 27, 2011

He Likes the Details

I often get impatient waiting for things to happen. I like to have things done in a timely manner (preferably my timely manner), and I don't like to wait for things that I assume can be simply done. Two Sundays ago my pastor was talking about the events leading up to the death of Christ. He mentioned that people who are crucified are typically buried in a slave's grave. You might think, okay... and your point is? My point is that a slave's grave wasn't one grave for one person. It was basically a big hole that they piled the bodies into and left uncovered. Think about that for a second. If Jesus were to be buried there, the events would have been a lot different. But, God wasn't just thinking about having Jesus die and then be resurrected. He was thinking about how Jesus would come to this earth, who he would be born to, and how many times people would try to kill him (and not succeed). He planned out how things would lead up to the crucifixion, who would be there, who would turn away, and who would be hanging on the two crosses next to him. He thought about and carefully orchestrated how long it would take Jesus to die, that his bones would remain unbroken, and that a wealthy man with connections would just so happen to have a beautiful tomb in the garden. He carefully chose who would come to the tomb first to find that Christ was no longer there.
Details are important to him. You might think that the details of the resurrection story had to be carefully planned out and thought of, but the details of our life are just as important. I've been planning my Kenya trip for almost three months now. I love details, so I have been perfectly aware of what needs to be done to get me closer to that plane ride in June. Realizing that God is just as concerned about the details, if not more so, is quite comforting. I knew that I would need to raise money, but he knew just how much I would get when. He knew that I would need to get shots, and he knew just how much money they would cost.
Not only has he taken care of those details for my trip, but he has also taken care of the little details regarding moving down here, finding a job, being close to friends, and the list can go on. He knows how this day will affect tomorrow for me. He knows what the next few months will hold for me, and he knows just what needs to take place to get me there. I get frustrated when things don't go the way I think they should, but if I were in control, I would probably forget some little detail and who knows what that would mess up. He also knows how the details of my life affect another person's. I have no way of knowing how my life will affect someone else's.
I sit here typing while Lil Man is playing on the floor, and I can't help but think about how my interactions will influence his life and the life of his sister. How will my attitude toward something shape their world? Will I make a lasting impression on them? Most likely, yes, and I want it to be a good one. They may not remember me three years down the road, but how I react to them today may have an affect on them then. Call me crazy, but that's a lot of pressure! I'm thankful there is someone much bigger and more knowledgeable than me to take care of things, including the minute details of individual lives.
To him, no detail is too trivial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!