Monday, April 25, 2011

Mondays

You know it's going to be a long day when you just can't seem to drag yourself out of bed. When the world seems to be overwhelming and the covers over your head (or the feel of your plush pillow) seem to keep the activities of the day behind closed doors. That was my morning. My alarm went off, and all I wanted to do was close my eyes and dream away the day. But, we all know that didn't happen because here I am. The snooze alarm went off (for the second time), and I dragged myself out of bed. The thought of two kids with runny noses, coughs, one tooth attempting to pop through, and the after affects of a fun filled Easter weekend didn't exactly inspire me to move more quickly.
As I got ready for my day and headed out the door, I began to plan what our day would hold. Maybe a nice long walk to the playground or a trip to the nearby science center or even a some finger painting outside. These thoughts crossed my mind at eight o'clock this morning, and by nine-thirty, I knew the day would not match up to my expectations.
The affects of teething had begun to wreak havoc on the little guy, and the normal adjustments to Mondays had begun to show their true colors in my sweet little Miss Magee. Instead of off to the park for some exercise, it was off to the grocery store to fill the very empty fridge and pantry. And, instead of a quick trip which would leave time for outside play, it was double the normal time and filled with tears. Miss Magee tripped and scraped her knee and it was all down hill from there. Her cries ignited his cries which opened up the flood gates of snot and tears. I was bound and determined to get the groceries we needed. I asked a clerk for a bandage which only made the cries worse but stopped the blood from getting all over. I grabbed the food we needed, eased some cries with a free strawberry and offered up my purse for some entertainment while grabbing the rest of the food.
Needless to say, it was a long trip, but I couldn't help but laugh through it all. By the time we got home it was time for lunch and naps. The silence which usually allows me to regain composure, clean the house, and get some homework done is currently being broken as I write. I suppose it's time to resume my nannying responsibilities. Oh how I love Mondays....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!