Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Touch of homesickness

So, there was a part inside of me that was just itching to get out, and I'm sure that everyone knows that feeling I'm talking about. It's that dire need to just get out from underneath another person's rules and just be free, independent! For most, that feeling begins to creep in around age 16 when they get their license, and by 18 that need and desire for freedom has taken over. Some can stand it until there 20s and others may never really feel the need to get out and are quite comfortable with being under someone else's roof. Not me! I was itching to get out well before I was even 13. I can remember at age 10 planning how far I was going to go and where I was going to live. It's not that I didn't like living with my parents, but there was this sense of desire to just be free and capable of doing things my way, having my kitchen my way, and cleaning my way. Okay...that sounds really selfish, and it sort of is, but when you have even the slightest hint of OCD in regards to cleaning and organizing, then it appears perfectly normal. But, needless to say, I remained in my house until I was 21. So much for getting out early. I have always been rather financially independent and responsible and I have taken pride in that. When I turned 18, moving out wasn't an option financially. When 21 came around, it was looking more doable, and to be honest, I am so glad it was.
I moved out as soon as I could, and not just to another neighborhood...to another state! My parents weren't too thrilled, but I was tickled pink for the new adventure. I have been on my own for about 4 months now, and I have been doing pretty well. I haven't really felt homesick...until now. I think it's the holiday season that has begun to tug at my emotions. So many memories revolve around Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the thought of not participating in those traditions kind of breaks my heart. Sure, I will make new traditions with my new family, once that comes along, but until then, what do I do?
Thanksgiving this year wasn't too bad. I went to a friend's house, and they've basically become my family. But, when my mom sent me a video of her and dad getting the tree and then a picture of it decorated, I almost lost it...in Borders! Thankfully, she said that she would be willing to tear it all down just so I could put it back up when I make it home for Christmas! I am so excited about that. I never really thought about all the traditions that I would be leaving behind and left out of until now.
Home is definitely one place I enjoy being at during the holidays...even when there is mass chaos and mom is yelling at the pie crusts she is attempting to make but keep falling apart! It's tradition and I love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!