Monday, August 1, 2011

A Song in Our Hearts

Everyone appreciates hard work. Some of us enjoy doing hard work every day, others of us have to do it whether we want to or not. But, how many of us can actually say that we would choose hard manual labor over the ease and comfort of more "pampered" work? Some may say, I love to do hard manual labor, but how many of you can honestly say you would choose to do it every day? With a song in your heart and a smile on your face? What about if it was monotonous? Still think you would honestly answer yes?
I enjoy hard work. I would choose manual labor over sitting at a desk any day. Even if that meant standing on my feet filing all day instead of typing on a computer, I would choose it, but the day comes to an end and the next one may be different. We think that we have it rough here, and don't get me wrong, some of us do. But, how many of you can say that you do your laundry by hand every day? Yes, every day! Some with kids might say well I do laundry every day, and while that's true, I'd like to know how many of those people do it by hand. And, if you don't do it by hand but instead simply separate and load into the washer then switch to the dryer, how many do it with a song in their heart and a smile on their face?
While I love doing laundry, I have found myself grumbling over the fact that I just don't have the time to do the laundry or other household chores, and the thing I hate most is lugging the laundry down the stairs to a shared washer/dryer (thank you apartment living). I realize just how easy I have it. Mind you, I have known that we, Americans, have it pretty easy compared to other countries around the world, but, I will say it again, it's one thing to think that and another to actually experience it first hand.
Where am I getting this topic, you might wonder? If you guessed my trip to Kenya, you're totally right. I saw what it truly means to have a servant's heart. I fully know what it looks like to sacrifice your time, strength, and energy. I am fully aware of yet another way to show love without words. Like in many countries, women do the majority of the work in Kenya. They cook, clean, shop, organize, teach, garden, mend, construct, transport, landscape, nurture, and then do the typical day to day things that women all around the world do. I am so blessed to say that I was able to experience the hard work and dedication that so many women in Choimim put forth. Five women stick out in my mind- Lucy, Mercy, Lilly, Edna, and Claire. These women not only managed their own households and families, but they also took care of us during our stay. These women cooked our food and cleaned our clothes, shoes, and living quarters. Not only did they take care of all this, but they also took care of the pastor's children while he was away (his wife works and lives in Nairobi), and they did their own laundry and house cleaning. The best part is that I can honestly say that these women never once complained (if they did it was in Swahili, and I didn't pick up on it). They always had a smile on their face and ready and willing to help. They woke up extra early and went to bed rather late, but each time they were mopping the floors with a towel, washing 5 loads of laundry, cooking food,  or cleaning mud off of shoes, they were beaming with joy and happiness.
I was able to assist them with laundry one day, and by the end of the day, I was wearing an ace bandage on my wrist because I had sprained something. I honestly never thought I would sprain my wrist doing laundry, but let me tell you, after soaking, washing, wringing, rinsing, wringing again, and repeating on 36 sheets, 18 pillowcases, 18 towels, and about 2 loads of clothes, I was not surprised. It was hard work, but I enjoyed it because I knew that my willingness to help them was serving them.
They inspire me....
Woman doing laundry outside children's center

One load of laundry

Attempting to wash as well as them (they make it look easy)

The attitude of the people that I rubbed shoulders with in Kenya challenged me to examine my attitude daily. I complain way too much about the things that make my life convenient. We are in an "instant" generation. We want things done now, and we don't want to wait for it or actually do any work to get it done. How lazy is that?!
Next time you see the socks strung along the floor, the food on the table (or under), the garbage can overflowing, or the dishes that need to be washed, try to have an attitude of Christ rather than an attitude of selfishness. It's so easy to "know," but truly think about how blessed we are to have the conveniences that we have.

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; 
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!