Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Is it nap time yet?!

Do you ever have those days where you feel like you're repeating yourself over and over again? If you spend your day with kids, I'm sure you do. Today has been "just one of those days." My day started at 6am, the sun was just barely starting to "wake up." I don't mind early mornings. I actually feel like I can get a lot more done when I get up early. (Yesterday, I was up at 6, to work by 7, sorted and organized both kids closets, had both kids dressed and fed by 9, the kitchen spotless, and the rest of the house vacuumed by 10. It was a very productive day!) I headed out the door, slightly running late but not horribly, and was to work at 7 on the dot. Miss Magee was in a whiny mood which is slightly understandable since she had been up for an hour. By 9, both kids were up and being fed, but instead of us all being in good moods, we were all in sour moods (and I was ready for nap time!). I should have known it would be all down hill from there.
Not even 10 minutes after Mr. Man woke up, I had repeated the phrases "Drink your milk, please," "No, no touch," "Leave your sister alone," "Please, stop the whining," and "Play with your toys, not the cords" at least eight times a piece. I seriously feel like a broken record. You would think that they would get sick of hearing me say the same thing; heaven knows I do! Distraction works wonders when the children aren't as stubborn as a mule! And, it doesn't help the fact that when you remove Mr. Man from something he's not suppose to be playing with he looks at you, grunts, and swats at you (kid you're not even a year yet!).
I decided we HAD to get out of the house today. Outside the sun was shining, but the humidity wasn't up which means it's perfect weather for a walk to the park. So, by 9:30 we were out the door. Mr. Man was obviously not enthused with the idea since he fussed once we got there. We played on the swings and the slide (and I found five bucks!) which boosted our moods a little bit. Then it was time to hop back into the stroller for that 15 minute walk back. Again, Mr. Man was not enthused, and instead of sleeping his usual 45 minute morning nap, he chose to sleep for 15. Next was bath time before lunch then nap (oh how I've been waiting for this). Bath time went as "smoothly" as I had expected- full of fitful cries from Miss Magee and terrified screams from Mr. Man in response to the echos of his sister's fits. They love the pool but seem to hate baths. Finally, lunch time. To my surprise, it went quite well, but as soon as the bibs came off and the faces were cleaned, it was like we were back in the heat of battle. Mr. Man insisted on playing with his sister's hair (aka...pulling), and Miss Magee insisted on whining about things and tormenting her brother by rolling on him and trying to carry him. -Insert repeat phrases, again-
I am so thankful for nap time. Yes, it gives me a break, but I am much more thankful for what it does to the kids. The poor things have been so busy that their sleep schedule is totally out of whack. Naps recharge all of us and allow me to recover from the morning and prepare for the afternoon.
*Big sigh* Thank goodness for nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!