Monday, February 14, 2011

The Ultimate Valentine

I'm sure that tons of people have thought about this concept of God being the ultimate valentine, but for me this is a concept I am working on and feel today, more than any other day. I am not a huge fan of Valentine's Day, simply because most of my years I have not had that significant other to be my valentine. To be honest, I would love flowers and chocolate ANY day of the year (most girls would probably agree).
I received flowers last week that were a complete surprise to me and brought tears to my eyes. This morning I woke up and remembered that today was Valentine's Day, and initially, I began to dread the idea of the day and all the "lovey-dovey" things that today usually brings, but as I was still slowly breaking through the sleepiness from the night I began to remember all the previous Valentine's Days. I have always received flowers or chocolate or a cute little stuffed animal and a really nice card from my parents. Now, I know that parents aren't the first thing a person thinks of when they think of valentines candidates, but mine have been for every year that I have "celebrated." They have allowed me to feel loved and appreciated each year on this day that I generally dread, and this year is no different. First thing this morning I received a text from both my parents telling me how much they love me and that something special was on the way. I am so thankful for them and their thoughtfulness.
As sweet as my parents are, they are not the ultimate valentine. I'm sure you all can guess who I am going to give that title to, God. He is the one who placed my parents in my life, even though I sometimes question why (I'm sure everyone has asked that question a time or two). He is the one who has given me the 68 degree day full of sunshine and warmth today, a day that I usually feel a little blue on. He is the one who has placed two precious bodies of energy in my care. He is the one who has allowed the little girl to be extra cuddly today.
I am so thankful that my ultimate valentine always knows what I need right when I need it and never hesitates to give it to me.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!