Monday, January 17, 2011

Time Flies with Age

What is it about getting older that makes time fly by so quickly? I can remember as a little girl thinking that I would never get passed 10 years old because time seemed to move so slowly. Now, I'm 22 and wondering where the past 12 years have gone. I am tempted to say that time seems to pass more quickly to us adults because we are busy every day. We have responsibilities to take care of, and we have a lot on our mind. We look forward to and plan things that are months ahead, but as a young child, events don't really get planned out so far in advanced (with the exception of Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, July 4th, and birthdays).
Kids take the time to smell the roses...and the daisies, tulips, daffodils, violets, lilacs, pansies, geraniums, and just about every other flower out there. They don't worry about the few minutes it takes to enjoy the beautiful smell of a flower or a moment with friends. To them, it's just what their day holds for them, and they are content to be in that very present moment. We, as adults, have a tendency to view smelling the flowers as a waste of precious time. How often do we not take the time to appreciate little things around us? I try to do this on a daily basis, but sometimes it's annoying to stop, breathe, and take in the moment. I'm a "go getter" person who generally doesn't readily take the scenic route to the end. I enjoy going from point A to point B, but maybe it's time for that to change...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!