Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Play to Grow

"Pattapiwar. Eeen moon egg on weef. Up one day sun. Ee very hungy. Wate one apple ee til hungy. Wate 2 pars, ee til hungy. Wate bawberry ee til hungy. Wate wonges til hungy. Pattapiwar ate one chocwate, one cheese, one wowipop, an one wa-ermeyon. Eee no hungy. Wate one weef. Pattapiwar big. *Gasps* buyerfly!
Yay!!!"
If you couldn't tell, that's The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle read by a two year old. I got to start my morning with that. This morning started at 6 for me, and she was wide awake when I got to the house at 7. So, we snuggled and read just like we do before nap time. She loves her books, and I hope that her desire to read all the time will continue to grow as she gets older.
I struggle with the children of this generation because most of them would rather sit inside on their electronics than read or go outside and play.The ability to imagine a whole different world to play in and explore is non-existent to many of these kids. It's not that I completely frown upon kids using electronics, but when it takes away from their ability to pick up a "lifeless" toy and make-believe, I think that there is an issue.
I think it is very important, developmentally, for a child to learn to play on their own in a room of toys that require imagination. Again, I don't see anything wrong with toys that make noise or turning on the television from time to time, but when it occurs every day I believe it can be detrimental. The television is on for a total of 1 hour the whole day that I am here. I will have music on in the background but that's it. For the majority of the day the kids are fully submerged in their toys and the little worlds they create.
There have been studies done that show kids who were taught to pretend have an advanced intellectual development. Not sure how that happens? Well, if you think about it. Kids tend to learn more by hands on application. They don't sit down and learn about the world around them, they explore it and learn from day to day activities. Studies have also shown that it can help a child's ability to empathize. They are able to imagine how one might feel in a situation. There are so many benefits from imaginative play and reading. These are only a few that I can think of off the top of my head. I learned about play therapy while in a college class, and I wish that more people would take the principles of the idea and make them their own.
The point is, I think it's wonderful for a child to develop an interest in books, and I think it's our responsibility as caregivers and parents to help that interest grow and develop. Along with that, I also think it is our responsibility to help introduce imaginative play. Choose to put down the remote, the paper, the computer, even your book, and take the time to play with your kids. I know it can be hard at times, especially after a hard day at work, but it can be so rewarding for you and your child (and you may even be surprised at how much fun you have!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!