Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The only one

We're all searching for something at some point in our lives. I think it varies from person to person and changes as they age. Some are searching for money, possessions, acceptance, pleasure, strength, or love. These things can vary in degree as well. Some want just enough money to be comfortable, others want acceptance to the point of being well known, and for some, they want to find unconditional love. The last thing is something that's hard to find. We, as humans, want to find that person who is going to love us no matter what. That person who is going to be there through thick and thin and there to pick us up when things are at their worst. We can only hope and pray to find someone who is going to accept us as the imperfect being that we are and be willing to stand by us despite our past mistakes and probable future ones.
This has been on my mind a lot today. Too often I look to other humans to fill in the "hole" I think I feel. I know that this "empty" feeling inside will never be filled by other imperfect human beings. So many days have gone by where I wonder why I feel the way I do at times, and then I remember that I'm human, imperfect, and always in need of reminders. I cannot do things on my own and need to ask for help daily, but I find it hard to remember just whom I have to go to in order to get that help. The amazing thing is that no matter how hard headed or stubborn or prideful I am, God is always there and ready with open arms to first comfort me and then to give me the strength that I need. His love for me is unconditional. There's not a single thing that I can do that will ever surprise him, and he's promised me that he will not walk away from me. There's not a single thing that will be thrown my way that will surprise him or that I cannot get through, so long as I have his help.
I have to daily remind myself that He is the only one who is able to give me strength when I need it, carry me when I am weak, comfort me when I am down, make me smile when I need it, and forgive me no matter what I have done. He's the only one who is ever able to fulfill that void, and he's the only one who will always be there waiting for me no matter how many times I turn my back on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!