Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Monster of the Season

I feel as though the holiday season has turned into this huge marketing monster that pushes sales and drives up debt and overshadows the important things that once surrounded this time of year. Thanksgiving should be a time of "thanks" and "giving," and I saw first hand just how little "thanks" there really is in this world. People were more concerned about the Black Friday deals (most occurred well before that day) and figuring out their plan of attack than being in the moment and enjoying their day off with friends and family. Even some of those who weren't planning on taking part in the crazy buzz of shopping were unhappy with having to be with family or friends.
Thanks to this crazy drive to sell, sell, sell on Black Friday, I didn't get to enjoy Thanksgiving the way I have in the past, and I found myself complaining about it in my head. On a day that should be used to purposefully think of what we are grateful for, I found myself grumbling about my work schedule.
Christmas  is officially 24 days away (yikes!), and though I am not able to make it home (very sad) I am still feeling the pressure to get my Christmas shopping done. There is no need for me to. In fact, I have an extra month or so to get mine done because I won't be able to be with family until February. So, why the need to get the shopping done? Good question. All I know is that the retail world does a tremendous job of convincing the buyer that time is running out so they better purchase now.
I was driving home from work a few nights ago, feeling exhausted from work, and I noticed that people had their Christmas lights out and the simplicity of the red, white, green, and blue lights just made me remember how much I do love this holiday season. Unfortunately, that simple joy is greatly defeated by the sense of urgency to get things done and set. Traditions have gone from setting up the tree, decorating the house, and baking Christmas cookies to scoping out the best deals, hassling with travel plans, and budgeting for the next 8 months as to how it's all going to be paid for.
What happened to the simple joy?
What happened to the feeling of anticipation for the simple things?
What happened to enjoying the day with family?
Since when did retail get to dictate how we celebrate?
Maybe this makes no sense to some who may be reading this, but these are all thoughts that have crossed my mind while folding the same sweater for the umpteenth time.
I love my job and am very thankful for it, and, if not for the holiday hubbub my paycheck would be less, but I hate to see the season slowly taking on a new meaning.
It makes me think...
What traditions are going to be preserved throughout the generations?
What are the kids of this generation going to pass down to their kids?
Will it be how to strategically budget and plan for Black Friday and get all the shopping out of the way or will it be how to make Grandma's sugar cookies and dancing to Christmas music while enjoying the Christmas light's glow?

1 comment:

  1. Becky -- Thinking about you a lot these days, miss you -- and as usual, you and I are thinking the same thing!!! My situation is making Christmas spirit a little scarce,wishing for more of the simple things to make the season meaningful. You just inspired me to get a tree with lights up soon and to play those carols.... LOVE YOU BUNCHES and would come to see you over break if I didn't have to move!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!