Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

You never realize how much you miss something until it's no longer there. I'm sure you have all heard someone say something along those lines, and maybe you believe it, but you never really know just how much it's true until you experience it.
This holiday season has been a very different one for me. I work in retail which means this is crunch time for us. Between Black Friday sales to the returns that come after followed by the whole month of December, time just flies. There really isn't time to just sit and take the festivities in. Down time is spent sleeping and trying to play catch up on all the errands that were neglected the day before, and before you know it, you're sitting in your living room on Christmas morning thinking, "Whoa! Wasn't it just Thanksgiving?!" 
...Or at least that's what I'm thinking...
I didn't go home for Thanksgiving. Last time I was home was back in August, and I miss my family. I miss seeing my parents, grandparents, siblings, and nieces and nephews. I've had two nieces born this past year, and I have yet to meet them. Now, I realize that many people have family that they don't get to see often, but I have a close connection to my other niece and nephews so it's hard not to feel like I'm missing out. As I'm sure you can guess, I didn't make it home for Christmas either. {Oh the joys of retail...sighs} New Years is definitely out of the picture too. After all the sales comes all the returns. I am counting down the days til the end of January when I will get to see my family and friends for my cousin's wedding. I am far beyond excited. I cannot wait to scoop up my nieces in my arms and smother their chunky little cheeks with kisses, and I cannot wait to see my Lacie and catch up with her. I cannot believe that she is getting so big and grown up. And Alyx, he is growing so much that it's hard to keep up. Jacob and Micah are growing like weeds too, and I hate that I cannot be that fun aunt who comes to pick them up for the day to hang out. I miss those little moments. 
I miss laughing with them, and it's hard to fight back the tears when I think about all the time that has passed since the last time I was able to invest time in them.
So, that brings me back to my original statement...
...You never realize how much you miss something until it's no longer there...
Time is precious. I know this and have begun to fully grasp it's meaning over the past few years. I have come to accept that there is lapsed time that I cannot get back. I am trying to fully embrace the idea of moving forward and making the most of what I get each day. Today is a day that is typically enjoyed with family, but it's not what makes Christmas special. Family, that's the key ingredient. So, whether you are 15 minutes or 1500 miles from home, whether you are with your immediate family or a friend's (thank you, Britt), the important thing is that you are with people fully enjoying the moments that you are given. 
I intend to do just that. I may not be with my family in person on this day, but they know that my heart and mind is on them. They know that if I could, I would've been up there. They know that I love them and that's the important thing. 
So, on this Christmas day, remember that we are here only because we have been given the opportunity that is life. So, make the most of it. Be thankful for what you have and where you are (even if it is away from family), and choose to have a happy holiday. Choose to invest in the lives of others. We are only breathing because God chose to invest time into forming us. We are only able to feel the emotions that we have because God allowed us to have them.  
Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!