Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Restored Hope

The other day I heard someone talking about perspective, and it really stuck with me. They mentioned a woman living day to day in constant pain and having such a terrible outlook on life. She got to the point where the pain was too much to bear, and she just wanted to die. Someone began to talk about things the woman had to be thankful for and then mentioned Jesus. The woman immediately smiled and said thank you. She had been so consumed by her pain and physical state that she forgot about her Lord and Savior. Simply hearing the name Jesus and thinking about him brought joy back into her life and took away the pain. No longer did she hate living or feel miserable. Jesus' name alone restored her hope.

I can't help but think of how often I lose sight of my Savior. My focus is so easily affected by what is in front of me, and my present condition takes precedence over my reason for living. I get so caught up in the day to day drama of my life that I begin to dwell on the the negative. I find myself thinking about the things I don't have and want rather than the things I do have. I have become wired by habit (a bad one at that) to complain and become upset about situations rather than give thanks. The bible is full of verses instructing us to give praise. The authors of those books gave praise to God in situations far worse than I have ever experienced. The Psalms written by David are full of praise and thanks to God (and for a good portion of his life he was running in fear). All throughout Psalms we read these words, "Give thanks to the Lord for his love continues forever."

Psalm 107:8 says to give thanks to the Lord for his faithful love and the miracles he does for his people.

Ephesians 5:20 says to give thanks to God our Father in everything-not in the good times, not when we get what we want, but in EVERY situation both good and bad.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says to give thanks in all circumstances because it's God's will for us.

Colossians 3:17 says that whatever we do- in word or deed- to do it in the name of the Lord while giving thanks to God.

Romans 12:12 says to be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. It doesn't say be faithful in prayer when things aren't going your way or when affliction is happening. It simply says to be faithful in prayer.

These are just a few verses that speak about thanks and joy. The bible is full of verses like these. Now, please don't misunderstand me. I am not saying that we should plaster on a fake smile and pretend everything is just peachy all the time. Doing that would make us hypocrites which we should not be either. We are humans living imperfect lives. We would be naive to think all will go perfectly and problems won't arise whether we are faithful in prayer and praising God or not. But, the wonderful thing about being a child of God is that despite all the downsides of life , we have a hope worth clinging to. We know that in the end we will come out on top. We have a secure place with our Father in heaven. Jesus has made a way for us. This world is not the end for us!

Imagine our life if we lived focused on God and all he has done for us and given us rather than our negative situation. How much more enjoyable would our life be? How much more effective would we be for the Kingdom if we were faithful in prayer every day? We would be in communion with God and ready to face this life and all the ups and downs.

I want to be like that older woman every day. I want to be so focused on God and his word that life's pains and trials seem like nothing! I want to revel in his peace and restoration of my hope.


1 comment:

  1. you’ve done an excellent job at highlighting the best fiverr gigs to get some blogging tasks done fast and cheap. I’ve always struggled to find the right gigs. This would come handy.



    No Addiction | Aire Bra | Sandhi Sudha | Fair Look | Body Buildo Powder
    Slim Pro | Step Up Height | Hair Building Fiber | Sandhi Sudha Plus

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what's on your mind!